A time trial without rain, not literally anyway

We started from hotel after some nice photos with the cycle with mountains in the background with both me and The Cyclist. I followed the cyclist down the hill,as we were some kilometres from the start point. At the junction both my sat navs said to turn left but The Cyclist was looking at his Garmin and he went right. I know know to follow him so I did. I caught up and pulled alongside telling him that both my sat nav’s  had said the wrong way.  He was non plussed so on we went.

About 2km along he said to me that we were getting further away from the start. I replied that I knew as my Nav’s said to go another way early on. Well. Do you know what he said?  He said “well you have to tell me! You have to communicate clearly!”  Mmmm. I wonder what saying that my sat navs said the other way was then. we were 0.5Km away from a main road that would get us where we needed to be but by the time I had looked at the sat nav’s he had already made a start turning and going back where we came from. O K. Now we are on course. We went across a very busy island and headed toward the town.
Not far along the sat navs told me to turn left so I indicated and pulled into the box for those waiting to turn across the on coming traffic. I could have nipped across a number of times but I waited  so that it was clear enough for me to go and for the cyclist to follow. When I turned I heard a noise. It sounded like someone had driven over a full can of fizzy pop. I looked in my rear view mirror and I saw The Cyclist walking from the middle of the road with his drinks bottle in his hand. At that point I thought that he had gone to take a drink, dropped the bottle, and it had been driven over. He was certainly walking like he was pissed off. I pulled into a hotel parking space, got out of the car and walked towards him and asked what the matter was.
He said he had been knocked off his bike! Oh My God! How? He said “You did it” What! How! I didn’t feel anything in the car? I turned left and went straight. Now I was in shock and felt sick all in one.   He said that he had turned at the same time as me and had got too close too the car and got his front wheel caught on the bike rack at the back. He said he had gone over the handle bars and as his shoes were clipped in to the pedals, his bike went over the top of him going over and got knocked by the car. What! I really felt nothing! Nor was I going fast or stupidly. His knee was bleeding and he said the French woman sat waiting to turn behind him, stopped and asked him if he was ok?
What? Me? no! No, No! Really? His handlebars were all askew and things weren’t really in the place they should be. He told me he was devastated. His knee was bleeding and he said today was over. I remember when his best cycle broke big time in Italy and he had to ride the the spare TREK bike and how his heart was on the floor for that awful last mountain day I am sure you remember. I felt physically sick and wished I could blart my eyes out, but I really wanted to stay strong too. He said that it wasn’t my fault. It was his.
Out came the tool box and with some adjustment we got he handle bars straight again. Now to test the bike to see if it is rideable and that the gears works and apparently they hit the car as the bike went over him. It seems ok so maybe we were lucky he said. I should think so as there was no on coming car that could have gone over him.
So we set off again. The Climb started right away at the end of that street and it was quite steep. This is not like a normal Le Tour flat time trial. It is more like a Giro one, but it is the 100th tour and they are mixing it up a bit. Up, up and up The Cyclist was not trying to break a speed record today we were just riding it because it is a stage. However, there were beautiful lake views and it was well worth it. Over the top and down the other side which The Cyclist said was a technical descent (I just drive it) and I expected to go along the lake on the flat for a bit. But no, a right turn and up another climb. Are they having a laugh?
At the top of the first climb we had caught some TDF guys and Phil their best rider. The Cyclist must have mentioned the weather which is forecast storms for the next few days. Phil advised That we should set off earlier than we normally do,to beet the storms hopefully as the mornings will be clear, getting cloudy, wind will pick up then storms after in afternoon. The Cyclist shouted “did you hear that Kay” I didn’t hear but The Cyclist made sure I knew so that we could be packed and leaving by 7am the next  morning.
We had lunch at our hotel which was a 50s style diner. After that I suggested that we go for a walk around the block to stretch The Cyclists legs. While in the Diner a guy had come in who was completely spaced out off his face. He ordered a can of pop. drank it in one go and left. When we walked we actually walked into Gap itself (The City not the shop!) it isn’t somewhere I will want to go back to. There were lots of people who looked out of it and The Cyclist said that he thinks Gap has a drug problem. No Kidding. There were also lots of gay guys both single and couples but what I have never seen before with my own eyes are rent boys. On street corners on the edge of town Gap had some. Young too.
Last night we had spoken to the  Sports Therapist as it is her Birthday on Thursday and we did it while we knew we had internet. She was out for a drink by the river in our home town. I could see where we lived behind her on FaceTime and I asked her to send me some photos of home so I can put them up . They are not French I agree but when you have been away for a while it makes you appreciate what you have. I think it rivals the towns I have seen along the way. She also too a screenshot of my Two arms as I showed her that they are different brown levels. It looks quite funny.